Last month I made candied orange peels for the first time, and I used some of them in my Orange Chocolate Panettone. The rest of the orange peels, I dipped in dark chocolate (you know, because everything tastes better with chocolate!).
I mentioned the other day that I am trying to clean out my pantry by using up “left-over” ingredients. I knew I wasn’t going to eat the chocolate dipped candied orange peels any time soon, so I decided to chop them up and add them to cookies.
These cookies are delicious! I really liked the chewy texture of the candied orange peels, and it’s the right amount of chocolate! If you are feeling adventurous, I highly recommend making your own candied orange peel (the recipe can be found here). It is a little time-consuming, but it is well worth it.
Oatmeal Chocolate Candied Orange Peel Cookies
- Large bow
- Medium-sized ice cream scoop
- Parchment paper lined cookie sheet
- Cooling racks
- 6 Tablespoons Butter, softened
- 4 Tablespoons Shortening
- ¼ Cup Sugar
- ½ Cup Brown sugar, packed
- 1 Egg
- ¼ Teaspoon Vanilla
- ½ Teaspoon Baking soda
- ¼ Teaspoon Salt
- ¾ Cup Flour
- 1½ Cups Quick oats
- 1⅔ Cup Finely chopped, chocolate covered candied orange peel*
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees.
- In a large bowl, cream together the butter, shortening, and the sugars. Stir in the egg and vanilla and mix well. Add in the baking soda, salt, and flour, then stir until combined. Add in the oats and chocolate candied orange peel.
- Using a medium-sized ice cream scoop, scoop out the dough and place onto a parchment paper lined cookie sheet. Leave 2 inches between each cookie. Bake in a preheated oven for 10-11 minutes, or until the cookies are a light golden brown. Remove from the oven and let cool for 5 minutes. After 5 minutes, move the cookies onto cooling racks and cool completely. Enjoy!