These came about when I was looking for ideas to use up extra peanut butter frosting. I had made too much for another baking project and didn’t want it to go to waste. You might recall that I love brownies, so a brownie whoopie pie filled with peanut butter frosting is a wonderful thing!
Brownie Whoopie Pies with Peanut Butter Filling
- Medium-sized microwave-safe bowl
- Small bowl
- Large mixing bowl
- Plastic wrap
- Medium-sized ice cream scoop
- Parchment paper lined cookie sheet
- Stand mixer
Brownie Whoopie Pies:
- 1 Tablespoon 1 tablespoon coconut oil
- 1 Teaspoon Butter
- 2 Cups Semi-sweet chocolate chips
- 2 Eggs
- ¾ Cup Light brown sugar, lightly packed
- ½ Teaspoon Vanilla extract
- ¼ Teaspoon Baking powder
- ½ Teaspoon Salt
- ½ Cup Flour
Peanut Butter Filling:
- ¼ Cup Butter, softened (1/2 stick)
- ½ Creamy peanut butter
- 2 Cups Powdered sugar
- 3-4 Tablespoons Half and half
To make the whoopie pies:
- In a medium-sized microwave-safe bowl, combine the oil, butter, and chocolate. Microwave for 30 second intervals, stirring after each one, until the chocolate is melted. Set aside.In a small bowl, whisk together the flour, salt, and baking powder. Set aside.In a large mixing bowl, whisk together the eggs, brown sugar, and vanilla extract. Stir in the melted chocolate mixture and mix well. Fold in the flour mixture until just combined. Cover the bowl with plastic wrap and place in the freezer for 6-8 minutes.
Preheat oven to 350 degrees.
- Using a medium-sized ice cream scoop, scoop out the dough onto a parchment paper lined cookie sheet. Bake in a preheat oven for 10-12 minutes or until the tops look set. Remove from the oven and let cool for 10 minutes. After 10 minutes, move cookies onto cooling racks and let cool completely before filling.
To make the peanut butter filling:
- In a stand mixer (or using a hand mixer) with the whisk attachment, combine the butter and peanut butter. Mix until well combined. Turn the mixer on low speed and add in the powdered sugar and the half and half, starting with 2 tablespoons and adding more until you get the consistency of frosting/filling that you prefer. Set aside.
To assemble the whoopie pies:
- Flip over 12 brownie whoopies/cookies so that the bottoms are facing up. Spread or pipe on the peanut butter filling, then top with the remaining 12 cookies. The whoopie pies hold well, so you don’t have to be concerned with eating them all the same day!! Enjoy!